Saturday 17 July 2021

3.2 No Grudges




Haliya wakes up disappointed to see that Uriah has left the house already. There's no reason he had to leave- he lives right across the street, after all. She tries to distract herself with some chores. 



And then by chatting with her father. 

Old age has made Paolo grumpy. "William called me scrawny! Do I look scrawny to you?" 

"Dad..." 

"Hmmmmph." 



Yana's trying to focus on TV. Sun stayed the night to avoid a long drive to the townhall after the party, and now Yana finds herself trapped with her, again, without knowing what to say. 




Yana's relieved when it's time to go. 

"HALIYA keep your eyes on the road!" Sun yells from the back.

"Mom, I just looked at the rearview mirror for a split second!" 

"The turn's just up there-" 

"I know-" 

"You gotta turn right there-" 

"Mom-

"You're turning way too late!" 

Yana puts her hands over her ears. 



Yana damn near sprints out of the car once they're parked. Tula's glad she drove here separately. 



-Interlude-


Once graduation finishes most of the household is starving. 



William included. He can't wait to go home and have some plasma orange juice.

"William, you promised to be more social with my family," Tula tries to convince him to go to lunch with them. 

William hesitates. "But...the restaurants here don't have plasma...I need to eat." 

"You could always feed from me..." 

William looks disgusted, "What? No way!" 

"William," Tula pins him with an intense stare, "You've been so rude to my family so. many. times. Don't you think you can do this one, little thing for me? Just one time?" 



Guilt pushes William to give into her demands. He tries to do this as quickly as possible. 



Nausea roils his stomach once he's done, but Tula looks...content? 
She's probably happy that I'm finally trying, he concludes, I do owe her that much.... 



Yana doesn't witness her parents' quiet argument. She's trying to slink away to the playground to get away from the growing crowd. 



But her plans are foiled by Haliya announcing that it's time for them to have lunch. 


Not everyone failed to notice William's dip into Tula's veins...



William tries hard to ignore it.



The heckler only stops to salute Paolo. 

Hmph. Ass-kisser. Paolo is not pleased. 
***



Afternoon turns to evening. Tula's able to convince William to accompany her to the spring festival for Yana's sake. 



He looks almost betrayed when she ropes him into a conversation with her uncle Rocky. Thankfully, William likes Rocky enough to attempt small-talk. 

"Rocky, hey, sorry I haven't been at the gym too much-" 

Rocky waves off his concerns. "Don't worry about that. You're a new father, it happens. I actually came here with more...lucrative offer than being my personal trainer." 



"You...what?" William is confused by the sudden change in conversation. 

Rocky smiles congenially. "Family loyalty is very important to me, and Tula is family. I know that the two of you have been a bit down on your luck since moving here. Small town people aren't very trusting, I'm afraid. I imagine it's been difficult to find well-paying work." 

William shifts uncomfortably. Sure, he likes Rocky, but something tells him he's a bit more Parrott than Tula is aware of. 

As if sensing his thoughts, Rocky smiles sadly. "I understand why my offer might give you pause. As a police officer, I'm sure you're aware of my family's...unsavoury...past. Trust me, it pains me to know that my siblings were involved in such awful crimes. Drugs, murder, even! But, before you dismiss me, just give my offer some thought, William. You told me that you used to maintain databases, right?" 

William nods. 

"Well, the video game industry here is quite new. This town is so small that they're taking pretty much anyone who knows how to boot up a computer. They're completely separate from my shipping business, but I know the CEO of the company. I could put in a good word for you. The interview and your application would be yours to do with, of course..." 

William scratches the back of his neck. It does sound too good to be true... but at the same time, can he be picky? "I'm going to be looking into this company." 

"Naturally." 

"Their public records. I can call in favours from Bridgeport PD," he blusters. In truth, he doubts his former boss even remembers him anymore. But sometimes the threat of investigation is enough to produce results. 

Rocky smiles again. "Of course. If anything's not up to snuff, then please, make reports and complaints. I don't want what my brother did to ever come back to our town. Anyways, I have some business with my niece now..." 



William is eager to leave the strange conversation. He starts a spirited game of tag with Yana while Tula talks business. 



"Your boyfriend was a hard sell," Rocky sighs, "I thought you two were desperate for money." 

"We are," Tula insists, "But he used to be a cop. He's going to have some suspicions." 

"I trust you aren't going to ask too many questions. We can't match the salary you probably got in Bridgeport, but we can make you very comfortable in this town..." 



Tula can oh so clearly remember being on the other side of this conversation...


It was her first official assignment with "the organisation" in Bridgeport. She was rather surprised when they sent her nearly all the way home. Riverview is only an hour's drive from Appaloosa Plains. 

She was even more surprised to find out what it was they wanted there- a reclusive, eccentric scientist named Mandi Krieger. Surely there were scientists who were just as good in Bridgeport, or Starlight Shores if they needed to go to another town? But no, Morrigan insisted on this woman. All Tula knew about Mandi at the time was that she used to be in Riverview's criminal organisation. But after a 'mysterious' explosion, she suddenly transferred to the sciences. She'd been free of the Bagley family in Riverview for a few years at that point. Safe to test chemical reactions and live a quiet life with her husband, Marty. 


Until Tula showed up. 

Mandi was busy making some kind of chemical. From the few glances Tula could sneak at the bottles underneath Mandi's workstation, she was working with highly volatile and explosive substances. 



Tula cleared her throat. 

"Ugh, what the hell do you want?" Mandi muttered, not even turning around to see who it was. 

Charming, Tula thought wryly to herself. "Mrs. Krieger. My name is Tula Winterly. I'm here on my employer's behalf. Perhaps you've heard of our company- East Tradewinds Shipping Company." 



That name certainly caught Mandi's attention. She shed her lab-coat, goggles, and gloves with hardly a tremor. Tula, however, could see the trepidation in the scientist's eyes. 



"I see you've heard of us." 

"Yes...my former employer spoke highly of you..." Mandi chuckled nervously. 



"Then you must know we can offer you much more than this...pithy lab. You're as close to an artist as a chemist can get, Mrs. Krieger. We can offer you all the resources you could dream of. This lab? Imagine all of its equipment reserved just for you." 


This did seem to give Mandi pause. "I..." No sharing a workstation with five other scientists? No budget restrictions? She shook her head. She couldn't make Marty a part of that mess again. "...no. No. That part of my life is done."



"But Mrs. Krieger, you haven't even heard of our generous benefits and vacation package-"

"Ms...Winterly, was it? I'm happy here. Do me a favour and buzz off." Mandi's grumpiness returned easily. What was it with people following her around in this town? Creepy vampires...weird papparazzi... where did they all come from? Her eyes narrowed at the strange woman in front of her. "Sorry- buzz off please."  



"Oh, Mrs. Krieger. I'm afraid I can't take no for an answer," Tula's tone turned deadly, "You see...as an incentive for you to join our organisation, we invited your husband to come with us before meeting you." 



Mandi's sour mood quickly turned into panicked worry. "You...what? Where is he? Did you hurt him?!" Anger flashed clearly in her bright orange eyes, her fists clenched so tightly Tula wondered if she would draw blood with her own nails. Tula could tell Mandi's emotions ran more deeply than other sims'.  

Tula shook her head. "Not at all. You see, he's perfectly safe." 

***


Earlier that afternoon, Marty Krieger had been having the time of his life. The Grind had finally finished building their long-promised bowling alley in their basement! 



He pumped his arms up and down. Another strike! And he hadn't even tried this game before. 

If only his wife were there to see it. 




Marty frowned at the figure in the back of the bowling alley. Had he seen this woman before? He was terrible with names and faces...and yet, somehow, he had the feeling that had they crossed paths before, he would have definitely remembered. 



"Ah, Mr. Krieger. I was looking for you," Tula greeted him with a smile and upbeat tone. 

Marty's frown deepened. That didn't sound good. "Who are you?" 

"Tula Winterly, a representative of the East Tradewinds Shipping Company. Ma Bagley was one of our biggest investors from this region." 




Tula continued to speak as Marty's eyes widened. Though he had never heard of this shipping company, he definitely knew who Ma Bagley was. 

"We're aware of your wife's...reluctance...to join us. We wanted to know if there's some way we can get her on board, Mr. Krieger." 



"Please, leave me alone," Marty said, a small tremor in his voice, "I don't want to talk to you anymore." He was all too aware of his wife's sordid past. He was relieved when he read in the news that the abandoned warehouse had been turned to ashes overnight. Such a lucky coincidence! And now this weird woman wants Mandi to go back to that kind of life? No way!

Tula frowned. "Well, as you wish, Mr. Krieger." 



Tula nodded to someone at the other end of the room. Before Marty knew what was happening, a strange vampire woman was staring deep, deep into his eyes. 



"I don't feel so good..." 



He landed on the floor with a loud thud. 



"Clean up this mess, will you?" 

Elvira narrowed her eyes. Such an ungrateful human. 

In retrospect, that was when the tensions began between them. 



Tula snaps back to the present, listening to Rocky's own "generous benefits package" spiel. 



Tula doesn't really care. She knows she can't say that, so she makes a show out of hemming and hawing. 

"Can't I get a cut of any of the precious metal profits? That's where the real money is..." 



She can see Rocky try not to roll his eyes. "Like I said before, even without any...special perks...your salary after taxes will still be three times higher than what you're earning now before taxes, Tula. Don't push your luck too much." 


"I just love what I do."

Rocky laughs, a genuine, throaty laugh, "Oh I know you do, Tula. To be back here, after nearly dying in the Bridgeport fiasco..." 



Ah yes. That one. 



"I still can't believe Morrigan managed to..." Tula looks around, seeing if anyone else is nearby, "...mess it all up for herself." 

Rocky shakes his head along with Tula. "A true waste. She had so many riches, all that product, up in smoke! All because she lost her temper..." 



"You don't let your emotions get the better of you, do you?" 

Tula grins. "No, never." 


Meanwhile, on the other side of town, Haliya is attending a small party at her aunt Xara's house. She finds herself chatting with Dionne Bedlington-Blanco (formerly Blanco-Riffin, and Ephraim's evil, hot-headed, genius ex-wife). 

Haliya is naturally completely unaware of Dionne's temper or her questionable morals. Instead, she finds herself deep in a conversation about forgiveness. All it took was Dionne mentioning her messy divorce with Ephraim for Haliya's hopeless-romantic heart to dominate their discussion.

"Well, I was never one to hold a grudge...forgive and forget. Especially for true love! Everyone makes mistakes... and well, forgiveness is always better, isn't it? And for me, the forget part is especially easy," Haliya says with a nervous, self-deprecating laugh. 

"But what if you can't forget?" Dionne presses, "What if someone hurts you and you...just can't get over it?" She feels anger rising at the thought of her pathetic ex-husband, begging her to forgive him. He gave in too easily to her demands- the game was just too easy with him. 

Haliya frowns. "I can't say that's happened to me before." 


"You are so sweet," Dionne suddenly gushes. "Let's be friends." 

Haliya giggles. "I'd like that." 



After the festival, William and Tula collapse together on the couch, exhausted. 

"I'm sorry, if you felt forced into drinking from me," Tula apologises after a few moments, "I just wanted to have a nice lunch together and I just...got way too worked up about it." 



"I won't lie and say it's totally fine," William says after a beat of silence, "But I can understand..." 

Tulip sighs. "That's good..." 



"I couldn't stand it if you hated me." 

William blushes and kisses her lightly. "I would never hate you..." 

Tula smiles. Is that so? She'll certainly have to put that to the test. 


Long after the couple has gone to bed, Haliya creeps out of her room for a midnight snack. 



Haliya smiles contentedly. As she's just found out, her strange cravings and late period have a cause. 

She and Uriah are having a baby.
---------

AN: 
"Marty" and "Mandi" Krieger are slightly made over versions of Randy and Randi Archer from the R&R Legacy. If I ever get around to blogging about the Silverly family again, you'll see them there as well as "Andy" and "Andi" Duende. Their daughter in that save, Tammi, is a character in my asylum challenge blog.  I should also play that again. I always wanted to keep Guy and Tula roughly the same age, but I haven't played that save in about three years. 


If there are any Star Trek fans in the audience, you might like to know that the last name Krieger was inspired by the TNG episode "A Matter of Perspective", in which Commander Riker finds himself accused of murdering a scientist who was making Krieger Waves, an alternative to warp drive. I'm a huge Star Trek fan, so there might be more references to it here and there. My favourite Star Trek series will always be DS9 but I have a huge soft spot for TNG and Enterprise (yes...the one most people hated LOL). Voyager was alright, but lots of wasted potential imo. I tried a few times to get into TOS, but the pacing was so slow and the music and the effects and the ham of William Shatner... Then there's Star Trek Discovery which is...well. Ahem. Anyways. 

Given how LONG generation 2 was, I wanted to speed things along for generation 3, so I had Haliya try for baby right away. Her kid will be generation 3's second and last child! They're also the generation 4 heir :) I love Yana, so much, but I wanted to keep the family line "consistent". Hmph. 


4 comments:

  1. Hmmm I wonder how Uriah will react?

    Fun chapter! It was sweet to see Randy & Randi again... well, not really them, but y'know! ;) Their initial incarnations were big Star Trek fans too, so they'd approve of your naming technique.

    I don't know how to pick between DS9 and TNG, I love them both for different reasons. I love TOS too; great characters, very progressive for its time. I don't mind the ham and cheese, haha. TAS (The Animated Series) is probably my favorite. I rarely see it brought up when people are ranking their favorites but just wow. Some of the scripts and art designs are truly inspired, paired with hilariously stilted voice acting and cheap animation. The crew literally meets Satan. And then there's "The Jihad". That one reads like a particularly bad D&D campaign.

    Voyager and Enterprise jockey for "last" place with me. Enterprise has more consistent mediocrity in its execution, while Voyager is real-bad but occasionally The Doctor walks on screen and makes it fun. Voyager had characters I liked, and characters I hated, while Enterprise had... neither. They both had a strong premise that was squandered. And then Enterprise started to get good in the last season, only to get canceled. So that made me sad.

    I haven't enjoyed Discovery or Picard at all so I don't include them. I couldn't even get through either series. I don't consider either of them to be very... Star Trekky, if that makes sense. I am curious as to how they'll be regarded in the future. Will they be mostly forgotten because so few people like them, or will they be an important part of Star Trek going forward? Who knows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, one on hand, Uriah is good, on the other hand he's a cowardly neurotic. I'm sure Haliya will tell him soon, though. She's so excited about the kid!

      I'm glad you liked seeing them! I had fun watching Marty go bowling, it seemed like something Randy would have enjoyed a lot, haha.

      For me the deciding factors between TNG and DS9 are the story archs, character development, and the cultural/political realism. As in, I felt we got a much deeper look into alien cultures and politics in DS9 with the Bajorans and Cardassians than most of the species in TNG. They actually felt like aliens to me, haha. That being said, I still really like TNG. The characters were great, many of the episodes were good (or at least, entertainingly bad LOL. Subrosa, where Crusher got seduced by that ghost...spirit...guy was *weird* but funny weird) and sometimes the aliens really felt alien. I think you mentioned it in your R&R blog, but that episode where that alien pretends to be a girl's imaginary friend actually felt like how an alien would interpret human culture.

      What I love about the Star Trek series in general is the sense of camaraderie and friendship between the characters. They all had great dynamics between each other (though less so in Enterprise where half the main cast was just forgotten after season 1...). I think DS9 and TNG both did wonderfully with the inter-character interactions and those funny short, 30 second scenes that give you a lot of insight into a character (Like Dax having to re-arrange Odo's quarters after playing a prank on him, Worf building a ship in a bottle, etc).

      The thing that made me keep coming back to Enterprise was actually Trip and T'Pol's relationship. My favourite story genre is actually romance (though it's my least favourite to write!), which Star Trek usually does...ok...with. So seeing a well written (as in, realistic), complex romance in Star Trek was unexpected. I recently re-watched Enterprise with my boyfriend (who was new to the series) and I finally understood the hate ENT got. I was young when it initially came out and watched it a lot when I was about 10 years old so I hadn't noticed most of the bad writing and Archer's...questionable captaincy. I agree the last season was really strong! I thought the series finally found its legs and then...cancelled. (insert rant about modern television and blah blah)

      Oh Picard, I have tried to erase that from my memory. I watched some scenes of it on Youtube to decide whether or not to watch it, and the scene where (spoilers!) Icheb got brutally tortured and murdered for pretty much no reason made me stay away forever. I agree with you- I think what made Star Trek special was its optimism and idealism about humanity's future. DS9 was a good way to explore the moral shades of grey, since I think it showed a realistic view of the fringes of utopia without making it seem like the entire Federation is just rotten/corrupt/dystopian. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I miss silly light-hearted scifi? Everything coming out now seems really dark and depressing. But like you said, it'll be interesting to see how Star Trek is viewed in the future.

      Delete
    2. Randy would have liked bowling. In my game he was dead many generations before that existed though. xD

      DS9 was very serialized, so it has the benefit of being able to have those character arcs and in-depth examinations that more episodic shows just... don't, because more episodic shows (like TNG) need every episode to be self-contained. Events still do happen in TNG that have consequences in later episodes, but DS9 episodes have more of them, and DS9 episodes become confusing without the context of prior episodes, in a way that TNG episodes do not. This is often pointed to as the reason people didn't like DS9 in its original TV run. Back before we could binge watch a whole series, people preferred to be able to miss an episode or five and still not feel lost. I think it's also why Stargate: Atlantis was favored back in the day, but now that people can watch shows at their leisure they prefer the more continuity-heavy Stargate: SG-1. (And SG-1 has such better writing!)

      The reason DS9 and TNG stay on equal footing in my mind is I don't feel like DS9 could exist without TNG as a framework. TOS gave us the general idea of humanity having progressed to a good place, but I feel like that vision wasn't realized enough until TNG. TOS did some incredibly progressive things for its time, but it was loaded with so much camp that a lot of casual viewers only know it for the camp.

      Archer really is such a dope though, isn't he? At least the Federation doesn't exist yet in ENT, so it's not like he has to be a shining example of a federation captain, but I still expected competency that wasn't always there. In some episodes he's written as kind and intelligent, and in other episodes he's frolicking on new worlds without allowing anything to check the air quality first, and can't seem to grasp simple concepts like "alien cultures may not be the same as yours".

      Still, Archer is portrayed as less of a numbskull than Trip. While watching ENT, I kept thinking Trip's job was not chief engineer, but to make Archer look smart in comparison. So the initial Trip/T'Pol stuff felt VERY forced to me, and then I was kind of shocked in later episodes, where the showrunners changed and suddenly the Trip/T'Pol relationship was written with competence and I found myself really liking it. So that ending was such a downer. Fan theory is Berman & Braga wanted revenge on the show for daring to get better without them, so they trashed it when they were allowed to come back for the final episode. Fun theory? No-fun theory? .. Either way, the last episode was insulting, and ENT fans deserved better.

      Yeeah... I heard about Icheb. There was no reason to give that poor character a downer ending. Made me sad. He had such a tragic origin, I preferred to think he got to be happy as an adult.

      We got two-ish episodes into Picard before we called it quits because they turned Star Trek into a dystopia. I know we're all feeling discouraged about the state of humanity right now, but almost every OTHER sci-fi franchise's message is "humans are trash, no matter where they go or what they build". Why couldn't they let Star Trek continue saying "humans can do better"?

      I haven't watched the new animated series yet. Forget what it's even called. I saw bits and pieces of it and couldn't stand it. It has that "talk 80 miles an hour, do not stop to breathe, do not stop to think" style. I was told it gets better, so I may give it a more fair shake someday.

      Delete
    3. I wanted to reply but blogger told me my comment was too long! Star Trek just gets me so fired up haha. I'll send you a PM with my rant, but feel free to just ignore it. I can talk about Star Trek for days!

      Delete