Thursday 8 July 2021

2.48 Trust and Communication



Sun stiffens when Tula sits down next to her. She can't explain it, but she has never felt quite...comfortable...around her step-daughter. Ten years apart haven't helped things.




"It tastes good, right?" Sun tries to make small talk. "Your dad made it. Fish and chips." 

"Yeah, I figured. Dad always liked cooking." 

Sun's mind flashes back to all the comments Tula used to make about feeding Haliya too many sweets and she bristles. "And what is that supposed to mean?" 

Tula looks at her, innocently confused. "Nothing. It's one of his favourite hobbies. You like inventing, he likes cooking... and fish and chips. They're his favourite dish. Didn't you know that?" 



Seeing Sun's jaw clench, Tula smirks a little. "Sorry, I suppose gardening is more your hobby than inventing. My mistake." 



Tula turns her attention back to her fish and chips. They really are excellent, she thinks as she wolfs them down. 

"So...how long will you be sticking around for?" Sun asks, willing herself to relax. This discomfort shouldn't last forever.



"Oh...well, longer than I planned, you see, um..." Tula leans in a little to whisper, "I'm pregnant." 



Sun stares at the wall vacantly. Pregnant means a very long stay, doesn't it? 

"I'm a bit worried to be honest. I never pictured myself as a mom... if I don't move back to Bridgeport I'll lose my job there when my maternity leave is over, but it's not a good city to raise a family in. The prices are so high, the crime... can I tell you something a bit personal?" 

Sun looks over warily, but nods. 

"I'm not sure if I can do it, be a good mother. I mean, I have my family here for support, but everything is just so uncertain now. I really admire you, for how you stepped up when Haliya was born." 



The praise catches Sun off-guard. "Oh believe me, in the beginning, I would've preferred jumping into radioactive waste," she laughs nervously, "But...it does get easier. It helps that Haliya is such a sweet kid, even if she is so...scatterbrained," she mutters the last part to herself. "Your dad will be supportive, I'm sure of it." 

Tula smiles, "I know. I already asked him, I'm glad you said yes too." 

"Yes? To what?" 

"To me moving in, of course! Didn't he tell you?" 



Sun gets up from the table abruptly. Tula smirks to herself again. I'll take that as a no... looks like some things don't change



After Tula gets dressed she asks Sun to pose for a portrait. "It means so much to me that you'll be helping out with the baby. It isn't much, but I really want to commemorate you somehow," Tula says, sketching some lines for Sun's face. 

Sun is still reeling from Tula's news.



Did Paolo really just sign her up for childcare without asking? What about all those fights about trust? About communication? Did it all really mean nothing? she despairs to herself. 



Tula barely notices when Sun walks away. Painting is a very time consuming process. Tula can better understand why her grandma spent days zoned out in front of her easel now. Her painting is interrupted by a phone call.



"Oh William, you're there? I'll be over in about 15 minutes." 

She turns to her father after hanging up the phone. "Hey dad, my boyfriend just arrived. I'll be out for a few hours. Is it ok if he spends the night here?" 

Paolo barely looks up from his book, "Yeah of course. See you later, Tula." 

She grins devilishly. "See you later, dad." 


Tula gets to the karaoke bar a bit earlier than she planned. Not seeing William anywhere, she strokes her belly pensively. 

Oh little one... you came at a good time. What better excuse to leave Bridgeport behind than a child? 



Though there are some things to iron out in the short term. 

"Sorry, I had to take a leak," William apologises for his tardiness. 

"Oh that's fine, it was a long drive, wasn't it?" 

"Yeah, 16 hours. I'm exhausted." 



They both sit down on the couch. 

"So...I'll cut to the chase, then," William starts off uneasily, "You're pregnant. And the kid is mine," he says it not as a question, but an observation. 

Tula pretends to be hurt anyways, "Of course it is. Do you really think I would cheat on you?" 

"No! No, sorry...ugh, that came out wrong. What I meant is...we'll be parents. Together."



He sees her expression and falters, "Um...if you want to raise the kid together. With me...I mean." 

"What do you mean when you say together?" Tula asks. "It's not much of a partnership if you're in Bridgeport and I'm here." 



"What I mean is... I'd like to give us a shot. A real one this time." William gazes at her affectionately. 



This takes Tula off-guard. "But we have tried, so many times! It never works. Besides, we shouldn't just jump into a relationship just because we have a child together." 

"I know! I'm not trying to make an honest woman out of you, or any of that crap... but..." 



"But I love you." 



"Pft, an honest woman, you know marriage is just- wait, you...really?" 

William nods. "Wasn't it obvious? You saw how sad I was when you said it was over last time." 

"Well...yes, but we're both sad every time it happens." 



"So what, are you saying you don't love me? Is that it?" 

Tula blushes, genuinely this time. "It's not that...my feelings for you should be clear by now." She knows that she feels anxious when he leaves, when she doesn't know what he's doing. She knows that observing him, getting him to do what she wants gives her a thrill like nothing else. That's close enough to love, isn't it? 



William scoffs, "A cop out if I've ever heard one." 



Tula scoots closer to him, manoeuvering herself under his arm. 

"Fine. I love you." 

William's heart soars, but he tries to play it cool. "Wow, such a willing confession..." 



"Hey, this is...hard for me. I've never told anyone I loved them before." 

"Really? I'm your first love?" 

Tula smiles softly at him. "Really." 



He leans in for a kiss. She returns it gently. 

"Let's try to make this work. Please." 

Tula rests her head against his shoulder. "Ok." 



Back at home, Sun is having a midnight snack. All the worry about taking care of Tula's impending child has made her too nervous to sleep. 

"Oh, mom, you're up," Haliya remarks, sitting down for her own late night meal. 

"You're up late," Sun notices. 

"Moooom, it's Saturday night. It's fine." 

Sun casts a critical eye on her daughter. "Is your homework done?" 

"I'll do it tomorrow afternoon." 

"No, you'll do it now." 



Haliya scowls. "Why are you such a freaking yeti sometimes? It's late and a Saturday! I can do my homework tomorrow." 

"No, because you'll 'forget', or 'not have the time' and I'll have to help you do it at the last minute again, like we do every weekend. If you're awake enough to argue, you have the energy to do your homework." 

"You're so unfair! Fine, I'll got to sleep then!" Haliya snaps. She angrily puts her dish into the sink and stomps to her room. 



Once she's in bed, regret sets in. I shouldn't have yelled at her like that... but it's not like I forget on purpose. What's wrong with me? 

Haliya drifts off to sleep uneasily, planning on apologising to her mother tomorrow. 

***


Early the next morning Paolo is busy whipping up everyone's favourite meals. He can sense rising tensions and hopes this can help everyone relax.



He frowns at Tula's dish. She has what someone might call "garbage taste" when it comes to food. Her favourite meal has remained unchanged from her toddler days- peanut butter and banana. He wonders if he maybe should have made fewer of these since no one else in the house will touch them. 




But even everyone's favourite dishes can't erase the uncomfortable atmosphere in the house. 

"Mom, I'm sor-" Haliya begins. Sun cuts her off. 



"Could you put on a shirt...please," Sun asks their guest uneasily. 



William shrugs, "It's a free country. Don't you like the show?" he flexes a bicep and smiles at Sun. 

Outraged and uncomfortable, Sun flees the room. How could Paolo not even ask her if she was ok with this stranger staying over!? 



Tula wanders into the kitchen, sending a wave of relief through Haliya. Did he just hit on mom? Gross... 

"I guess I should apologise, huh?" William asks Haliya. She quickly nods before shovelling down her spaghetti. 



"Apologise? For what?" Tula asks, stifling a yawn. 

"I tried to lighten the mood with your mom, but she didn't think it was funny...my fault." 

Tula sighs. She should've seen this coming. "What exactly did you say?" 

"She told me to put on a shirt! But, like I said, it's a free country!" 

"...And?" 

"aaaand I said she should appreciate it..." 

Tula massages her temples. She's not sure if she'll be able to salvage this. 



Feeling bad for making things uncomfortable, William tries to think of a way to smooth things over. 

"Hey...kid, um...don't worry about the dishes. I can do them. Though I might be a bit rusty, haven't had any dishes to do in a while," he laughs nervously, flourishing his plasma juice box, "Being a vampire sure has advantages..." 




The table is silent. 

"Sheesh, tough room. I wonder how your dad does it, only man in a house full of girls, haha..." 



Tula gives him a withering stare. "Change the subject. Please." 

"Oh...well, hey, kid, what do you think of names for the baby?" He vaguely remembers Tula mentioning, a very long time ago, that her sister was obsessed with having a family. Baby talk should be safe, right? 



To his relief, this does get them talking. 

"I always liked nature names. Like Rain or Storm, for a girl," Haliya offers. 

"Ugh, no way. I don't want my kid sounding like some spoiled celebrity baby," Tula says. 



Seeing Haliya's dejected expression, she adds on, "But...how about for a boy?" 

Haliya taps her chin thoughtfully, "I always liked names like Hunter. But if your baby's a vampire that might be a bit..." 

William laughs, "Haha yeah, we have enough image issues as it is." 



William gets up to take a work call, leaving the sisters alone. 

"So, will you be having the baby here? With us?" 

Tula nods, "Sure looks that way. Dad and Sun said it would be ok." 



Haliya's expression brightens. "Can I help you decorate the nursery? And pick out toys? You'll need a training potty... and books! There are so many baby development books on sale now!" 

Well, at least someone's excited about you, Tula thinks, absently stroking her belly. "Sure, sounds fun." 



A shopping spree later and William is reading a book about pregnancy and child development. He was never one for reading in his spare time, but he dutifully reads each page. He figures he needs all the help he can get. 

Romeo Rake, his boss, was not too happy about his request for time off. Bridgeport's largest crime syndicate is in chaos now, something about their head of operations blowing up, and they really need all the officers they have. 

If you don't come back this Tuesday, don't bother coming back at all. Were his last words to him. He'll have to get packing. 
***




Weeks pass uneventfully after William leaves. He promised to be back in time for spooky day. Tula has no reason to doubt his word and so spends the majority of her time quietly and calmly painting. 



"I saw what you did with...Guy's old room," Paolo says one day during her painting session, "It looks nice." 



Tula frowns. "We didn't have enough money to redecorate like Haliya wanted... but I like the crib." Her sister insisted on the educational toys, and even offered to give up her gigantic bedroom for the baby. "She's so excited about this kid." 

"Aren't you?" Paolo asks, smiling. 

Tula ponders the question for a few moments. "I'm looking forward to seeing what happens," she finally says. 

It's an honest answer. 


Speaking of Haliya... 

She looks around her mother's sparse garden, wondering what she came out here for. 



Right. Mom. I wanted mom's help with my costume

Once again, her promise to apologise to her mother is forgotten. 




AN: I threw a costume party and there was...something wrong with Sun's costume. O_O I didn't know this could happen. 


Sun changes out of that horrorfest. She'll never let Tula buy a costume for her again! 



Tula is so lost in her painting that she only belatedly notices the flood of people in the house. 



She doesn't bother with a costume. Too pregnant for that nonsense. 



Oh the irony, Haliya (Tula is the one with the criminal roll). It's hard to see, but behind her Xara's wearing some fairy facepaint. I really like her costume! 



Haliya quickly finds herself a dance partner. 



Mr. Cowplant over here is Scott Riffin. Despite being a coward and loner, he's also flirty. He won't turn down the chance to dance with a pretty girl. 
"You sure are a theif...you've stolen my heart," he smiles at her. 

Haliya's only response is to giggle. 



Well, I should get this over with, Tula thinks tiredly. She's been holed up in the house for so long that most of the townspeople still don't know Tula's pregnant. 


The worst part of the charade is having to fake excitement every single time. To Sun, her father, Haliya, William... 




Once that part is over with, it's not so bad. Xara asks lots of questions about names for the baby (undecided), the gender (it's a girl!), what is it that her boyfriend does again (a cop. yes just like aunt Tulip! ha ha ha...) and so on. Tula finds these questions easy enough to answer. 



True to his word, William makes it just on time for spooky day. He managed to get a few days off, promising to do some double shifts before he resigns. 

That's right. Resigns. There's no other way for him to be with Tula and the baby. He's so in shock that he's told all of this to this doctor-guy he's just met, temporarily forgetting his fear of crowds.

"That's rough, buddy," is all Perry Schroeder-Hopper can tell William.  





William sighs. "Yeah, it is..." 

At least Perry is a good dance partner. He doesn't ask William any more questions. 



Haliya busies herself with mingling. New to high school, she's eager to make friends. 

Over here is Scot Miller, a descendant of the Fox and Miller families. She has the classic Fox hair. 



Her mother, Lara Miller, is actually Tula's first cousin. She's the daughter of one of Kanoa Parrott's many, many flings. Like most of the Parrott descendants after Pablo's conviction, she didn't join the "family business". Tula finds out that Lara is in the military, serving under her father. 


Looks like they have other things in common, too. Good to know.



Behind them, John Bedlington yawns dramatically. "You sure know how to throw a lousy party," he says pointedly, staring at his former in-law. 



"Do you hear that?" Xara yells to her brother. 

"It's the sound of a LOSER!" Paolo hits his sister hard with a pillow. 

I think they've both had a few too many... 



Meanwhile, Haliya tries to charm her grumpy older cousin, Seth. 

"Why am I the only cool one in this party," he sighs dramatically. 

"What do you mean?" 

He sighs again, "No one gets my costume. No one gets me.

"What is your costume?" 

Another dramatic sigh, "You wouldn't get it. It's not very mainstream." 



Despite his surly attitude, he tells Haliya that the party "didn't totally suck" before he leaves. 

She'll consider that a victory! 



Seth nearly jumps out of his skin when he sees someone standing completely still in the garden outside. It takes him a few seconds to see William's glowing eyes and remember that his aunt's boyfriend is here. 

Cool, he thinks, giving William a nod of approval. Vampires on Spooky Day are so gothcore.




It's not a party until someone is dancing on the table, Xara says. 



William comes inside, relieved that most of the party guests have left. 
"What are you eating?" he tries to make some small talk with Tula's stepmother. 

"Fish and chips. Ever tried it?"



Sun blanches when she sees the distant expression on his face. "Sorry, I forgot that Vampires don't eat..." 

"No, it's ok. We eat when we're young. It's just that...I never got around to trying fish and chips. I don't know what it tastes like." 



Sun is grateful when William scurries away from the awkward conversation. 




"Aw, I'm sorry if the nursery still looks like garbage," Haliya frets. 



Tula tries to copy her excited clapping. "Don't be. It's not like the baby will notice the decor..." 


***



All William wanted to do was to print his bus ticket. That's all! Then the computer exploded! 
He has the worst luck. 

Still, he manages to load the ticket on his phone. Sigh. One last run to Bridgeport, then he'll be here for good. 


As always, Tula patiently awaits his return. 



Oh shoot, I never apologised, Haliya suddenly remembers, weeks later, while standing in front of her school. Things are ok now, though... Maybe I should just drop it? The bell rings sharply, pulling her out of her thoughts. She runs inside, not wanting to be late for class. 



Back home, Paolo's stomach churns as he pays off another hefty bill. Sun's business isn't pulling in much money (only so many people want to buy widgets that don't do anything) and while he's wellpaid, taking care of five people by himself is a large expense. Soon that will include William, who hasn't found other employment in Appaloosa Plains. He sighs. He knows Tula isn't one to stay idle for long...hopefully it'll work out. 



He comes inside to change out of his uniform. 

"Hi Sun," he greets absently. 

"Paolo, can we talk?" she asks, fidgeting. 

Paolo tenses, expecting another fight. He sees her bloodshot eyes, her chewed fingernails, and feels a wave of panic. "Can we talk about this later? I just got back from work." 



He manages to get to the kitchen before she stops him. 

"No! I hate this...you ignore me, we fight, you never include me in what you're thinking-" 

"Hey, calm down-" 

Tula looks between the two. "William, I'm gonna have to call you back..." she hastily hangs up the phone. 




"CALM DOWN!? How do you expect me to be calm when you just make all these decisions without me!? You never talk to me about ANYTHING! You let your daughter who hates me move in WITH A BABY I HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF and her weird boyfriend without asking me! You don't talk to me, she doesn't talk to me! Haliya never wants my help! And you just let them both do WHATEVER THEY WANT!" 



"I'm tired of being the crazy one! I know no one here wants me around! You know what I wanted, Paolo? A DOG. A FUCKING DOG. Not Tula and her creepy little family!" 

Paolo is stunned into silence. All he can do is balk in the face of her anger. 



When Sun starts crying, and then starts bitterly laughing, Tula begins to feel very aware of the fact that she can't leave the room. It's quite the chilling sight. 
She takes notes. 


She does the only socially acceptable thing she can think of and looks shocked. She wills herself to tear up a little. 



"You never told me any of this," Paolo finally says. "Why didn't you say something sooner?" 



"I tried! I tried so many times! You always ignored me- or, or left the house until late at night! It wasn't supposed to be like this!" her tears flow heavily now, "You were supposed to take care of me." 




Tula mimics her tears, but is careful not to cry too loudly. This is all so fascinating. She doesn't want to interrupt. 



Sun buries her face in her hands. "I want a divorce." 



Tula sees this as her cue to leave.

------
AN: A funny outtake!

Marko and Persis's graves are still on the lot. Haven't had a haunting from them in ages, though. 

Anyways. OH MY GOD. That divorce? Completely autonomous. I couldn't stop it. I didn't photograph most of Haliya's childhood so I don't have any pictures, but if I remember right (this was around 3 years ago so you'll have to forgive me for not remembering) Sun suddenly accused Paolo of cheating. The game considers him to still be in a relationship with Krista, which makes no sense because she died

However! When I looked at Sun's memory scrapbook to see if she accused Paolo of cheating, it said that she caught one of her ex-boyfriends cheating, not Paolo. So it's possible that she considered her ex to still be an active love interest, but instead of asking him to just be friends (which sims usually do after the betrayed moodlet wears off) she asked Paolo to break up as her nearest love interest. Which would make no sense, since he wasn't the "cheater". 

Anyways, this lead me down a rabbit hole because I saw with the reputations nonsense that Sun has a "exploring their options" reputation, meaning that she's had a lot of romances before. Curious, I took a peek at her memories and it turns out before Paolo she had six boyfriends. Several of them at the same time :O I thought her dating Michael at the same time as Paolo was a fluke, but apparently that was just her normal way of dating haha. I'm honestly impressed because with the "cheating" system the game has, sims usually get mega-shamed by the entire city just for being flirty while having a romantic interest. I looked through her memory scrapbook and the only break up I found documented there was when one of her boyfriends died. She went steady with Cruz Martingale (a teen that comes with AP) who was much older than her so he died early in their relationship. She also went steady with Kenji Midden (a young adult that comes with the town) who was even older than Cruz. Two of the other guys were Michael and Javier. There are two more who I can't remember right now. Her MO seemed to be go on a date, kiss, go steady, woohoo, the next day go on a date with someone else, kiss, and woohoo and so on. I'm not saying any of this to "judge" her, but just that I would have definitely worked this into the story had I known earlier. 

Anyways, I considered using NRaas to fix her and Paolo's relationship since he didn't actually cheat but eh. Their relationship was low and she was getting on my nerves by autonomously scaring Haliya and Paolo all the time. Childish sims, man. Haliya's a few days off from being in the middle of the teen stage so it's technically against the rules but meh. Not my fault this happened! I'll keep her in the house for a few more sim days until Haliya is old enough then I'll move her in with one of her siblings or friends. 

This entire thing also lead me to Tula's memories because I completely forgot that she actually had a love interest as a teenager. It was Perry (the doctor guy dancing with William)! I remembered actually wanting to get them into a relationship but he kept ignoring my invites to hang out hahaha, so I had Tula track him down and ask to just be friends. 

The baby should show up in the next chapter! Sorry for this novel of an update, but I wanted to get all this drama out of the way before the baby is born. 


No comments:

Post a Comment